On The Point

Words and images to capture the joy of vacation, the value of family, the chaos of kids, and the beauty of The Rock.

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Thursday, July 23, 2009 - It's been a loo-oo-ng time comin'

So, a public confession to begin this latest chapter of the blog. Our week was tightly scheduled in preparation for our departure on vacation. Although we were eager to get away, we were also trying to squeeze out every Cape Breton minute to get to the end of what seemed an endless list of things to do. So a 7:00pm departure from Orangedale left plenty of time to take the garbage to the dumpster, drop off Dennis' phone bill, get gas, and pick up some fruit-filled Timbits, all in time to arrive at Marine Atlantic the required two hours before our 11:00pm departure for Argentia. We were going flat-out till the minute the little hand hit seven, but still feeling good.

When we got to North Sydney we were backed up behind a massive live of tractor-trailers, then poorly directed by some borderline-competent RCMP Officers to bypass the line up to get to the check-in kiosk. We cheerfully handed over our reservation number. "Which crossing are you on?" the uniformed employee asked quizzically. "11:00pm", I replied. "11:30pm?" she asked with a question in her voice. "No, 11:00pm to Argentia." "There is no 11:00pm crossing to Argentia. The Argentia crossing is at 9:00pm." In a flash, I knew it. I had messed up the 24-hour clock. 2100 hours is not 11:00pm, it's 9:00pm. Current time? 8:46pm. Oh my.

I said the world's fastest Rosary, and the word came over the walkie-talkie that we could go ahead and board. Second-last vehicle on the boat. Divorce narrowly averted. Vacation intact.

After that dramatic beginning, the crossing itself was blessedly uneventful. We snuggled in overpriced, uncomfortable bunks for the night and one or two of us had a good sleep.

In the morning, Maggie found a great window ledge for the boys to play on. When Jacob got tired she snuggled him and garnered many adoring looks from passers-by.

The Point was waiting to welcome us - Grandma and Granda, Riley, and this time, Uncle John. As the sun set over the shed, we gave thanks to be home.


  • At 9:26 PM, Blogger RainDancer said…

    Looking forward to hearing all about the Power-Donham adventures on the Rock!


Post a Comment

<< Home