On The Point

Words and images to capture the joy of vacation, the value of family, the chaos of kids, and the beauty of The Rock.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Sunday, July 22nd, 2007 - I'm the queen of the world!!

Those of you who know me, but who may not have been in touch with me lately, may want to sit down before reading the next sentence. Today, I ran the Tely 10 Road Race in St. John's. Yes, me who literally does not have an athletic bone in her body, and who has been known to be, in the immortal words of Colette Shannahan, "as big as a horse", ran ten miles through the streets of St. John's, and not because someone was chasing me. Last march I decided (secretly) to run the race, and today I actually did it. My finishing time was 1:52:09, which placed me 1609 out of 2020 runners. I made it to the top 79%. Perfectly respectable. Downright miraculous when you consider the fact that, the day before, I was diagnosed with a rather nasty strep infection and started on massive doses of penicillin. I choose to blame the strep/penicillin infection for the fact that, about 15 minutes after triumphantly crossing the finish line, I gracefully made my way to a garbage can and promptly threw up. Sense of accomplishment was intact; sense of dignity, not so much.




My determination and grit got me to the race, but my family got me over the finish line. Not only did my folks forgo Sunday Dinner in order to be at the finish line (yes, you heard right - my running the Tely 10 pre-empted Sunday Dinner!!), but Silas and the kids all wore custom made T-shirts to give me a boost. I am the luckiest granddaughter, daughter, wife, and mother in the world.


1 Comments:

  • At 3:09 PM, Blogger Josie said…

    Jenn, I'm really proud of you for running the race! Grit and determination is what you're made of girl - Congratulations!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home